Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Untitled" or "Penelope's sister"

Welcome once again! This is the 3rd installment of What's on my easel in real time. You can see here that the first "giornata" or painting day on this fresco is complete. The second section of plaster has been partially laid.
The humidity index here is 50-80% which means I have been forced to leave my plaster "open" almost 24 hours before I can begin painting. I need the plaster to remain damp, but not so much that my brush will dent it. It is somewhat of a waiting game. If you have ever watched paint dry (or plaster) you know how frustrating this can be!!

I have recently found that by laying the plaster the day before, I can begin painting early the next day. Very important since once I am able to start, I must finish within 12 hours ( before the plaster starts it's curing stage.) But when I go to Arizona the humidity index will be 0-7% and that's a whole new ball game! (sigh)

I am often asked "why bother doing all this? The answer is because...

There is nothing like a true fresco!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. looks really nice! :) great work! love the video too

    ReplyDelete