Thursday, September 4, 2008

A typical 12 hour day in the fresco studio

It is September, and now that everyone is back to school and back to work and I am back in my studio full time, without friends, family and the summer sun tugging at me to "come out and play," I thought I would walk you through a typical fresco painting day at my easel.
I am often asked "how long did it take you to paint that?" A difficult question for any artist to answer, not because the time cannot be measured, but because the creation of a piece of art often includes much more than brush and pigment.
In my case, the fresco shown here is part of an intense study of my mothers village in Italy through time spent, sketches, and photographic references. My goal is to try and capture the essence of this place in a large panoramic fresco which will include some of the village and its inhabitants (my feathered friends, the chickens,) and the awesome view of the Ionian sea.
In order to acheive this in fresco, a fairly unforgiving medium, I will do a series of smaller frescoes (approx 18"x18") These will be segments or close ups of the larger fresco which will ultimately be approx. 40"x60"

For those of you who prefer a more concrete answer to the time question, I have documented the "clock"time for you. As you can see a time sensitve fresco must be completed before the plaster that I am painting on has a chance to dry (buon fresco.) This can vary, but this particular peice, at this size, at this time of year, where I am in Canada took 12 hours (whew!)

(sold)

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to show the work in progress. Visitors to the site will appreciate what goes into the making of a fresco. How about showing you actually working on it. Would kind of certify you as the artist. If someone were to buy it, these shots would add value to the piece I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!I am going to try and set that up for the large fresco...keep your fingers crossed, if all goes well I may even be able to post it on you-tube!! Keep an eye on me, I will certainly do my best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liana,
    Welcome to the 21st Century.. Love the blog and welcome to the NW corner of the Celebration of Fine Art in 2009... More details to come... send me your contact information to newmansculptures@jps.net.

    Thanks,

    Debbie and Ken

    ReplyDelete